MCA Denver Failure Scholarship
The Failure Scholarship
The Failure Scholarship is an annual scholarship award available for graduating, college-bound Colorado high-school seniors. The Failure Scholarship is open to all seniors, regardless of intended field of study in college. Student must submit a creative project (created as a school project or otherwise) that is representative of the individuals own identity and life experiences. Projects of all types will be considered, including, but not limited to visual arts, performing arts, fashion, technology, design, and others. The creative project must be created solely by the applicant, group projects will not be accepted. We want to get to know YOU through your creative project. A 500 – 1,000 word essay about your artwork must be submitted.
- Student must be a Colorado resident and high school senior graduating from a public, private, parochial, charter, or online high school in Colorado
- Student must plan to attend an accredit post-secondary college or university
- Student must demonstrate creative thinking, innovation, and a willingness to risk failure
- The award will be distributed over the course of four years
- Projects of all types will be considered, including, but not limited to visual arts, performing arts, fashion, technology, film, music, culinary, design, installation, and others
- Title and brief description of project. Projects can include drawing, painting, photography, sculpture, dance, theater, fashion, technology, games, original instrumental or voice composition, design, or other creative practice
- A 500 – 1,000 word essay about the creative project and how it embraces failure, creativity, and/or risk-taking, how it relates to the artists identity and experience, and describing what risks were taken and the context in which the project was made
- Photos, videos, and/or YouTube videos/links to illustrate the project
- List of colleges applied to
- Intended course of student (if known)
The recipient of the Failure Scholarship will receive a college scholarship to be distributed over four years. The Failure Scholarship recipient will receive $20,000, distributed in four annual awards of $5,000. Scholarship awards will be paid directly to the recipient’s school and can be used towards tuition, fees, required books and supplies, room and board, and other qualified educational expenses. Award disbursement is contingent upon the financial aid and scholarship acceptance policies of a recipient’s school.
If you have specific questions about this application, please contact Sharon Harper at The Denver Foundation, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 303-996-7348.