Mikkelson Mathematics and Science Teachers Scholarship
The purpose of The Mikkelson Mathematics and Science Teachers Scholarship Fund is to encourage and support excellence in the teaching of mathematics and science. An extremely important element for improving the level of science and mathematics competence is to generate, in students, the desire to learn and understand how things work. Increased interest in mathematics and science can be encouraged by knowledgeable and enthusiastic teachers who can make the subject matter relevant and understandable.
The Mikkelson Mathematics and Science Teachers Scholarship Fund’s interest is in preparing students for success in fields that require a strong understanding of and competence in advanced mathematics and science. The fund’s focus is to identify individuals who are deeply committed to teaching and provide them with opportunities to renew or advance their enthusiasm, skills, and knowledge. The fund provides scholarships for teachers to choose and attend programs which will improve their depth of knowledge of the subject(s) they teach and/or enhance their teaching skills and effectiveness. Programs intended to increase a teacher’s knowledge of a subject area must include significant math and/or science content which can be applied directly to classroom instruction. These programs generally occur in the summer, but requests from teachers who would like to attend programs that occur at other times of the year are also considered.
Applications are accepted from individuals only. Each applicant must submit his or her own application. Applications requesting support for more than one person will not be considered.
Scholarship funds are not intended for use toward courses that are part of a degree program or required to attain or maintain certification.
- Elementary, middle, and high school teachers currently employed full-time in a Colorado school
Ideal applicants are either:
- Strong, experienced teachers who need or want a deeper background in a subject they teach, or will soon be teaching to attend courses, seminars, and workshops which will enhance a teacher’s knowledge of scientific and/or mathematical subject areas.
- Individuals who have a strong background in math or science but limited teaching experience (e.g. an engineer or biologist who has completed an alternative licensing program) who need or want additional expertise related to how to better engage students or teach a subject to attend courses, seminars, and workshops which will improve a teacher’s ability to teach science and/or mathematics.
Applications are evaluated on their likelihood to support the Mikkelson Mathematics and Science Teachers Scholarship Fund’s goals and to provide the applicant with knowledge and skills which can be used to improve their teaching abilities. The main evaluation focus is on the possibility for improvement of a teacher’s knowledge and/or hands-on learning experiences in science and mathematics. The applicant’s experience level, plan for using what is learned in the classroom, and the quality of the program in which he or she would like to participate will also be considered. Funding is awarded on a competitive basis. Previous recipients are welcome to apply for a new grant, but preference will be given to strong applicants who have not previously received a grant.
Selected recipients may be funded in full or partially funded. Recipients will be required to provide receipts, among other reporting.
Awards may be used towards:
- Courses, seminars, and workshops which will enhance a teacher’s knowledge of scientific and/or mathematical subject areas.
- Courses, seminars, and workshops which will improve a teacher’s ability to teach science and/or mathematics.
If you would like your application to be considered for early decision, please submit your application by January 18, 2019. Notifications for early decision considerations will be sent by the week of February 18, 2019.
Questions? Contact Charmaine Brown at email@example.com